Department of Biological Sciences
The philosophy behind the Biological Sciences degree programmes is for the sustainable development of resources and nation building through its management. Knowledge in the field of Biological Sciences in general enhances acquisition of skills to overcome challenges of environmental resource management and its development for the betterment of the ever-increasing global human population in a scientific atmosphere.
Philosophy, Aims and Objectives of the Degree Programme
The main aims and objectives of the degree programme in biology should be:
- To provide students with a broad and balanced foundation of biological knowledge and practical skills.
- To develop in students the ability to apply knowledge and skills to solving theoretical and practical problems in biology.
- To develop in students, a range of transferable skills that are of value in biological as well as non-biological employment.
- To provide students with knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies in specialized areas of biological sciences or multi-disciplinary areas involving biology.
- To provide, through training and orientation, an appreciation of the rewards of inter- and multi-disciplinary approach to the solution of complex life problems.
- To generate in students an appreciation of the importance of biology in industrial, economic, environmental, technological and social development.
- To instil in students a sense of enthusiasm for biology, an appreciation of its application in different contexts and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying.