Department of Geology
The Department of Geology provides the highest-quality teaching and research opportunities to the people of the State of Georgia, the scientific community, and the world. Our goal is to educate undergraduate and graduate students, businesses, government, and the public through excellence in teaching, research, and service. We emphasize studies in Crust and Mantle Dynamics, Earth Systems History, Environmental Geosciences, and Geoarchaeology. In these areas, we pursue the understanding of geological processes, the optimal use of earth resources, and the reconstruction of earth’s history to illuminate its future.
Philosophy, Aims and Objectives of the Degree Programmeme
The main aims and objectives of the degree Programmeme in Geology should be:
- To instil in students a sense of enthusiasm for Geology, an appreciation of its application and relevance in the solution of different societal developmental problems, and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying.
- To provide students with a broad and balanced foundation of geological knowledge and practical skills.
- To develop in students the ability to apply their geological knowledge and skills to the solution of theoretical and practical problems in geology.
- To develop in students, a range of transferable skills and attitudes that are of value in geological and non-geological employment.
- To provide students with the knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies in specialized areas of geology or multi-disciplinary areas involving geology
- To inculcate in students an appreciation and application of Geology in an industrial, economic, environmental, technological and social development.