School of PostGraduate Studies (SPGS)
Introduction – School of Postgraduate Studies (SPGS)
The School of Postgraduate Studies (SPGS) in Skyline University Nigeria (SUN) is an academic unit that oversees and coordinates postgraduate education and research programmes. It serves as a centralized administrative body responsible for managing the various postgraduate programmes offered by the institution. The primary role of the School of Postgraduate Studies is to provide support and guidance to postgraduate students, ensuring the quality and integrity of their academic pursuits. It is a hub for all matters related to postgraduate studies, including admissions, enrollment, registration, programme evaluation and graduation requirements. The school works closely with academic departments and faculties to ensure that postgraduate programmes align with national and international standards and regulations.
The School of Postgraduate Studies SUN typically provides services and resources to support postgraduate students throughout their academic journey. These services include workshops or training programmes on research methodologies, academic writing and professional development. The school’s Postgraduate Programmes and Ph.D. Programmes are as follows:
M.Sc. International Relations and Diplomatic Studies
Ph.D. International Relations
M.Sc. Forensic Accounting
M.Sc. Mass Communication
Ph.D. Mass Communication
M.Sc. Computer Science
Ph.D. Computer Science
M.Sc. Software Engineering
Ph.D. Software Engineering
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Rationale – School of Postgraduate Studies (SPGS)
The School of Postgraduate Studies in Skyline University Nigeria is driven by certain rationales, which emphasize the importance and benefits of postgraduate education. The following are some key rationales for the existence of SPGS at SUN:
Advanced knowledge in the specialized fields: The SPGS in SUN allows individuals to delve deeper into their chosen fields of study and develop advanced knowledge and expertise. It offers specialized coursework and research opportunities by providing the necessary infrastructures and academic support, which are not typically available at undergraduate levels.
Research and Innovation: The SPGS in SUN is vital in advancing research and innovation in various disciplines. It enables students to engage in original research, explore new idea and contribute to the body of knowledge in their respective fields.
Academic Excellence: SPGS in SUN contributes to the overall academic excellence of the institution. It attracts talented students and distinguished faculty members dedicated to advancing knowledge and pushing the horizons in the chosen fields.
Networking for professional and personal development: Enrolments into masters programmes are mostly self-driven decisions made out of personal choices. The SPGS in SUN offers a fair chance to all those students who volunteer for their career advancement by enrolling into Master’s Programme, and will be provided a wide platform for networking through industry interface, connect with professionals in various fields through guest lectures, experienced faculty members and also corporate integration through internships which opens chances for job offers.
Professional Skills Development Programme (PSDP): The School equips students with specialized knowledge and skills that enhance their professional prospects and employability. It prepares students for careers in academia, research, business, entrepreneurship, industry and various related professional fields. It provides resources and opportunities for professional development, by conducting skill development workshops, seminars, conferences, colloquiums, certifications and various networking events.
Goals – School of Postgraduate Studies (SPGS)
- To provide the graduates with in-depth knowledge of various programmes in their respective disciplines.
- To provide requisite training that improves and upgrades the existing and potential human resources needed for national development.
- To produce high-quality human resources through acquiring right skills and knowledge for training and for national development.
- To enable the graduates to fit into various fields of human endeavors and equip them with research skills, entrepreneurial skills and a sense of self-reliance.
- To facilitate and develop networking and industry connections with corporate and industry experts.
- To accelerate career advancement opportunities for the master’s students, and better remunerations with specialized training suitable to industry requirements.
Objectives – School of Postgraduate Studies (SPGS)
- To provide training in research and on-the-job works.
- To produce graduates who will be adequately equipped with relevant skills in the global knowledge economy.
- To develop a sense of inquiry, capacity for independent research and motivation to extend the frontiers of innovation and problem-solving.
- To develop the student's objective/critical judgment ability and have a sound analytical understanding using scientific methods and quantitative techniques.
- To create an enabling environment for desirable behavioral change, which will help the student develop values in consonance with hard work, probity, commitment, discipline and patriotism.
Curriculum – School of Postgraduate Studies (SPGS)
The SPGS programmes' curriculum clearly states the cognitive, affective and psychomotor skill acquisition by the students. The curriculum has adequate mechanisms, which are properly set to prepare students to adapt to real world scenarios. It is in line with the provisions of NUC (PG-BMAS) as per the requirements for the prospective course of study.
Full-time campus-based programmes with minimum duration of two academic sessions (i.e. four semesters) and maximum of three academic sessions (i.e six semesters) for the award of Master’s degree (M.Sc.).
Candidates for admission into Master’s degree (M.Sc.) Programme in SUN shall satisfy the following requirements:
- All candidates must have five Credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at O'Level, as a basic requirement.
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in relevant disciplines from SUN or any other accredited institutions recognized by the Senate of SUN; preferably with First Class, Second Class (Upper Division), and Second Class (Lower Division with a minimum CGPA of 3.00) in relevant disciplines.
- Candidates with a Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) from a cognate discipline awarded by a recognized institution with not less than an upper credit.
- All eligible candidates must satisfy SUN screening exercise.
Full-time campus based programmes with minimum duration of three academic sessions (i.e. six semesters) and maximum of five academic sessions (i.e ten semesters) for the award of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree Programme.
Candidates seeking admission into the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree Programme of SUN shall satisfy the following requirements:
- Bachelor and Master’s degrees of SUN or any other accredited institutions recognized by the Senate of SUN.
- To qualify for the Ph.D. degree programme, candidate shall have a minimum CGPA of 3.50 on a 5.00 scale or equivalent (60%) Master’s degree, or M.Phil. in the relevant discipline.
- All eligible candidates must satisfy SUN screening exercise.